Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm Back and Deeply Apologetic

Summertime at the beach
So here I am, back from my unannounced and unexpected hiatus. You would think that I would be able to make the time to write a few hundred words once a week during the summer, but no. I can only seem to manage a couple of projects at once and unfortunately this blog fell by the wayside.

What have I been doing with my time? I've been trapped in the theatre, only seeing the light of day through the wings. It's an outdoor venue and gorgeous. Of course, I'm backstage and see very little of the sun and grass and all that good stuff and instead have become intimately acquainted with the mosquitoes that inhabit the wings. I'm not complaining as it's a fantastic show that really came together after tech week and I'm proud to be a part of it. Not to mention the people who are lovely (and become even lovelier in my eyes when cupcakes appear in the greenroom)!

That one show took up hours of my time, but it's been open for awhile now. Up until this week what's kept me away has been sheer laziness. I didn't want to type. I didn't want to sit in front of my computer. I took day trips; I walked around my hometown. I have listened to far too much Bruce Springsteen. I must admit, I've barely thought about writing anything for weeks.

Now that I'm slightly busier and procrastinating from things that I really should be doing (*cough* rehearsal reports *cough*) I seem to have found the time to write again, funny how that goes. I've taken on a Stage Management position for a small one woman show that's showing in a local festival. It's not something I've ever done before and I'm excited, but also a little nervous. I'm less nervous about the actual show, which should be fairly straightforward, than my sanity. I haven't had a break in so long that I was looking forward to not working until October. Now I'll be balancing this job and the start of my final year at University. It will all work out because it always does; I just hope I don't burn myself out in the process.

That's how my summer has progressed, busy but no as of yet overwhelmed. I plan on enjoying my days off here and there and taking in all that I can during this coming August.

No comments:

Post a Comment