Friday, December 23, 2011

Sounds and Tastes of Christmas


It isn't really Christmas in my house until I've listened to every Christmas album my parents own (five times) and have baked the traditional Christmas shortbread and cakes. It's a little late this year, but I have finally completed those tasks.

I think it's the smells and sounds of this time of year that really put me in a festive mood. It's not the presents or the malls, it's the little things I remember from childhood. I used to love helping Grandma bake the Christmas Cakes in her big orange bowl. She would always have everything pre-measured so I would be able to pour things into the mixer. I don't have anybody to pre-measure the ingredients for me anymore, but every year when I bake the cakes myself I remember all those good times. I still sneak a few of the candied cherries for myself as I'm baking.



The sounds are as equally important to me. Every year we listen to Johnny Mathis when we're decorating the tree, eating shortbread and drinking eggnog. My mom sings, albeit terribly off key, but that's all part of the charm and my brother curls up on the couch watching as everybody else goes crazy with tinsel.

These are the memories that I savour each year. Even though things change, year after year I still have these little traditions that will always remind me of home.









I apologize for the picture quality, last minute photos for the album and blogging do not mix. That having been said Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment