Thursday, May 17, 2012

De-Stress My Life

Oh wow. What a day. Job interview one down. Which, well let's just say it did not go well. Turns out hand talking has its own special issues. Reason to not accept the coffee 1. My God.

Anyways, I thought I could use a little pick me up after that experience. As I usually do I turned to pop culture for that. I thought I'd share a few of my favourites for your listening pleasure. They're about as cheery as I get.

1. Maria - Blondie

I love singing along to this song in the summer. Debbie Harry is pretty much one of my heroes and it's just so catchy. Brilliant song.

2. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't go wrong with Springsteen. I will listen to this day in and day out until my roommates are begging for mercy and throwing things at my door. Okay so this isn't the classic feel good song, but coming from me is it that surprising? I mean really. Here's the deal, a guy is trying to convince a girl to take a chance on him and they'll get out of their town and run away together.  Sure it's fatalistic, cars are suicide machines and the characters are living in a town that'll rip the bones from your back. But combine all that with an iconic sax solo from the incomparable Clarence Clemmons and you have one of my ultimate blast it from the stereo songs. So why isn't this song at number 1? Mainly because I'm writing this list as I listen and Blondie just happened to be playing when I started.

3. Won't Back Down - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Wow, so here's a song with some upbeat lyrics to match the tone. How novel. This is another classic song that's just great to sing along to and let's face it the lyrics are pretty great advice. To be perfectly honest, it's not my favourite Tom Petty song. I've always been partial to Last Chance for Mary Jane, but on a day like today, well this isn't a bad substitute.

4. Great Expectations - The Gaslight Anthem

Here's another song that's not the typical song to improve a mood kinda deal. In fact, the lyrics are downright depressing. Everybody leaves. That having been said, I love this band. They're competing with Springsteen right now in my record collection; that's some high praise coming from me. The guitars and vocals are pretty fantastic. It's another one that I just love the blare. And it's not AS melancholy as a lot of their music. So that counts for something....right?

5. Dancing On My Own - Robyn

I've gotta tell you guys, this isn't the kind of music I normally listen to. It's pretty dance heavy, lots of electronic music in the background. Very pop. But it's just so catchy! I was watching that new tv series Girls and it came on at the end of one episode. Immediate mood lifter. Better than the actual show for that. I'm counting this as one of my guilty pleasures and I'm pretty okay with that.

So there you have it. Five songs I'm listening to right now to take my mind off my day. Now all I need is a couple of friends and a bottle of wine and I've got a pretty good evening ahead of me! And if that doesn't work out, well there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment